Wushu (Kung Fu) is the proper term for all the martial arts styles in China. It has been practiced in China for thousands of years.Wushu consists of tens of thousands of different External and Internal styles including both bare hands and weapons. Some of the well known external styles are Shaolinquan, Chaquan, Hongquan, Fanziquan and many others. The well known internal styles are Taichi, Bagua, Xingyi, and Water style. Wushu has become a popular international sport that all people can learn and use to attain its inherent benefits. Aside from a means of self-defense, Wushu has also been developed into a sport capable of improving a participant’s health and fitness, while improving their reaction time, jumping ability, balance, flexibility, coordination, power, and speed. Even athletes from other sports are taking up Wushu training to complement their physical pursuits and to improve the quality of their performance. Today, Wushu is also a performing art. The performance of a superb Wushu participant can captivate and mesmerize an audience.
Wushu basics are the foundation for learning all the other external and internal styles offered in our school curriculum. It also sets good foundation for learning all kinds of martial arts. Wushu basics focus on different kinds of traditional and modern Wushu training for stances, footwork, kicks, hand techniques, body coordination and balance. A great number of traditional and modern Wushu bare hand and weapon routines are offered such as: a variety of Long Fists, southern style, Yan Qin Quan, Cha Quan, Hong Quan, Preying Mantis(Tang Lang Quan), Fan Zi Quan, Di Tang Quan, Tong Bei Quan, Chuo Jiao Quan, Eagle Style, Drunken Style, Snake Style, Monkey Style, Broadsword, Sword, Spear, Staff, Three Section Staff, Nine Section Whip, Rope Dart, Dagger, Double Broadsword and sword, Long Tassel Sword, Big Saber and many other routines from E Mei and Shao Lin.
Why learn Wushu? Who should take this class?
- Anyone between 5 – 70 years of age.
- For people who wish to improve their fitness level, flexibility, coordination, reflexes, stamina, power, jumping skills, body posture, endurance, and confidence level.
- For people who would plan to learn any other kinds of martial arts – Wushu basics are the foundation for learning all kinds of martial arts.
- For our school curriculum, Wushu basics are strongly recommended before taking Bagua and Xingyi classes. In fact, most of the students are taking Wushu basics concurrently with other classes such as Taichi, Xingyi and Bagua because the basics they learn in Wushu are great compliments to their learning in other classes.
- A good cross-training style for people in different kinds of sports such as dancing, yoga, pilates, running, hiking, basketball, volleyball, soccer, ice-skating, swimming and many others. People that have a Wushu foundation will typically find other sports and activities much easier to learn.
Wushu Class Structure
Wushu Class content includes
- Warm up
- Flexibility training
- Wushu foundation training includes basic punches, kicks, stances, jumps, whole body coordination training
- Forms includes short weapon, long weapons, animal, modern and traditional forms.
We now offer two types of class
- Seasonal class – Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer Term.
- Ongoing classes – This class is for experienced students or students from seasonal class who would like to have extra hours for training. By invitation or upon request only.
Wushu instruction adheres to Grandmaster Liang’s strict teaching standards, focusing on helping to improve students skill levels in a shared, relaxed, and social environment. Training includes all required skills defined by SYL Wushu Taiji Qigong Institute’s External Curriculum as well as traditional, competition, and standard forms and all martial applications.
What will I learn?
- Many different kinds of traditional and modern Wushu training for torso, legs, arms and jumping
- A great number of traditional and modern Wushu bare-hand and weapon routines such as: a variety of Long Fists, southern style, Yan Qin Quan, Cha Quan, Hong Quan, Preying Mantis(Tang Lang Quan), Fan Zi Quan, Di Tang Quan, Eagle Stle, Tong Bei Quan, Drunken Style, Snake Style, Monkey Style, Broadsword, Sword, Spear, Staff, Nine Section Whip, Rope Dart, Double Broadsword and sword, Long Tassel Sword, and many routines from E Mei and Shao Lin. We have more than one hundred different kinds of routines for to learn and to choose from, so students can continue their training at our school for an extended period of time and will always have some new to learn.
- Wushu class also emphasizes self defence and Sanshou training. We teach many kinds of techniques in grappling, throwing, wrestling, punching, kicking, free sparring and the improvement of body power and stamina.
- Upon arrival at our school, please see or have someone direct you to an instructor for more information.
- For people who have any serious health issues, always consult with an SYL instructor before participating in class.
- Wear comfortable exercise clothes. Jeans and clothing that restrict movement are definitely not recommended. Wear light and comfortable exercise shoes.
- Always follow the directions of the instructors as closely as possible.